External Communications Specialist, Media Relations (July 2017-May 2018)
Jackson National Life Insurance; Denver, Colorado
- Build relationships with key reporters, craft corporate messaging and talking points, proactively pitch media, prep company spokespeople for interviews, and research and monitor relevant publications and industry trends.
- Implement a byline placement program by working with internal and external authors to write and edit articles that further company’s brand and corporate messaging. Secure publication of bylines from targeted news outlets.
- Write and edit content deliverables, such as press releases, bylines, internal articles, executive updates and other corporate initiatives to promote the company’s new narrative and build positive brand awareness.
- Maintain project management calendar to track media relations outreach, deadlines and secured coverage. Analyze results and create reports that measure media success.
Marketing Communications Manager (May 2015-April 2017)
ikeGPS; Broomfield, Colorado
- Created content marketing strategy and led all communications initiatives, including development and management of editorial calendar, employee social media policy and style guide.
- Executed PR strategy, identified messaging, wrote press releases, sent media pitches, and secured earned media among targeted trade publications. Acted as company spokesperson at trade shows and in media interviews. Conducted media training with subject matter experts to ensure messaging stayed on target.
- Collaborated with the sales and creative teams to develop content that supported buying process. Measured content performance across various audiences and adjusted strategy based on analytics.
- Developed social media strategy and managed platforms with proven increase in customer engagement. Created social brand voice and identified audience and influencers for tech startup products. Wrote paid social media ads and tracked metrics.
- Launched corporate newsletter to improve communication and employee satisfaction among international offices.
Managing editor (November 2013-May 2015)
National Business Media; Broomfield, Colorado
- Wrote and edited print and online content on daily, weekly and monthly deadlines for Printwear magazine and its e-newsletters.
- Edited magazine layout and oversaw every production stage to ensure the magazine met all publication deadlines.
- Collaborated with creative team to implement a more modern magazine redesign that better reflected brand and appealed to demographics.
- Created editorial and social media calendars that covered industry trends and news. Promoted content and engaged with audience on social media.
- Acted as face of magazine at trade shows, industry events and press conferences. Conducted event coverage, including video interviews and print and online reviews.
Freelance communications specialist (March 2009-November 2013)
Self-employed; Thornton, Colorado
- Wrote and edited content on daily, weekly and monthly deadlines for Printwear magazine and its e-newsletters. Assigned stories to online editor and developed story angles with publicists and writers that met editorial goals.
- Developed and executed strategic communications plans for clients to increase brand awareness and meet overall organizational goals. Created appropriate messaging for various audiences.
- Launched e-newsletter program and project managed content creation, design, proofing and analytics.
- Distributed press releases and developed story ideas with PR contacts and editors that were frequently published.
Online editor (August 2010-July 2011)
Summit Business Media; Centennial, Colorado
- Wrote and edited online news stories, e-newsletters and magazine features on daily, weekly and monthly deadlines for Life Insurance Selling, Benefits Selling and Senior Market Advisor magazines.
- Edited copy and layout of print magazines during all proofing stages.
- Optimized online copy and headlines for effective SEO.
- Managed internal and freelance writers to ensure stories were on deadline and met editorial goals.
- Oversaw online traffic, which consistently grew each month, and created engaging social media content to increase online clicks.
- Attended trade shows to report live social media coverage.
Communications editor (July 2008-March 2010)
National Business Media; Broomfield, Colorado
- Wrote and edited three monthly magazine articles, press releases, marketing collateral, e-newsletters, departments and online content for Sign & Digital Graphics, Printwear and Awards & Engraving magazines.
- Conducted phone and in-person interviews with high-level executives for multisource articles. Fact checked with industry experts to ensure accuracy.
- Managed trade show education sessions, which included recruiting top industry leaders to serve as panelists, creating panelists’ biographies, executing classes and taking care of the panelists’ needs.
- Developed positive media relationships and broke latest industry news at trade shows.
- Supervised marketing projects with various departments, including concept development, copy writing and graphics.
Writer (September 2006-July 2008)
HealthTrans; Greenwood Village, Colorado
- Established monthly employee and quarterly client newsletters. Managed content development and creative efforts, including writing, editing and design.
- Wrote copy and developed marketing concepts to enhance brand awareness for website, brochures, pamphlets and other collateral.
- Project managed a corporate communications plan for employees and clients during a major computer server transition.
- Wrote account-winning responses to RFPs, RFIs and surveys from potential clients, third-party administrators and brokers.
B.A., Baylor University, 2006 – Journalism and History
Drupal, WordPress, Google Analytics, Lyris, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe InDesign, RFP Machine, Microsoft SharePoint and Microsoft Office